My sister Charline was a very good cook, her secret was to always be prepared. If you arrived without calling, she would put on a fresh pot of coffee and whip this up and have it smelling like heaven as you sat down to the kitchen table for a chat. Easy to make - forget the box, this is what you can use for simple quick cake for friends or family game nite
- add 1 1/4 cup flour
- add 1 cup sugar
- add 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- add 1/3 cup shortening
- add 3/4 cup milk
- add 1 egg, pre wisk with fork before adding
- add 1 tsp vanilla
- Using a med size bowl cream together the sugar and shortening till it is smooth with beater. Put the flour, baking powder and salt on a piece of wax paper. Whip the egg with the milk and vanilla and take turns putting the flour mixture in the large bowl with the creamed sugar and then add the milk mixture taking turns to go back and forth with dry and wet until the batter is mixed. Not over beaten.
- Pour into a greased and then floured 8x8" square pan or one layer cake pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- You test for done when the cake is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean from the test in the middle of the cake. Then you can sprinkle with powered sugar, or drizzle an icing on top. Icing: 2 cups powered sugar 1 tsp of vanilla or almond extract, 2-4 tbs of milk and whisk to a thin drizzle over warm cake. Serve with berries, ice cream, pudding, or just on its own. Simple and lovely - quick desert.
- Read more about Charline on my blog page and join me on Twitter @MissBusyBiz