I wanted to make a different sort of meatloaf for dinner last night, and this is what I came up with. This meatloaf is moist and cheesy and oh-so-delicious! Tastes pretty darn good cold, too. :) I often make a double batch and freeze one in a disposable meatloaf pan to give to bachelor friends.
- add additional pasta sauce
- add 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- add 1 cup cubed mozzarella cheese
- add 1 egg
- add 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- add 1/2 lb hot Italian sausage
- add 3/4 lb lean ground beef
- add 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- add 1 cup chopped onions
- add 1/2 cup of your favorite pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the egg, breadcrumbs (I whir herbed dry stuffing mix in my food processor to make these), garlic, and 1/2 cup pasta sauce until well-mixed.
- Add remaining ingredients (except the garnish), and mix together well (I do the whole thing in my sturdy KitchenAid mixer, which works quite well).
- Put into a large loaf pan, top/garnish with additional pasta sauce (I like a*lot* of sauce and so use about a half-cup, but three or four tablespoons would do, too), and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Serve with rice, spaghetti, or scalloped potatoes.