Servs: 8 Prep: Cook:
"At our house, we celebrate George Washington's birthday with this cherry dessert."
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 4 tablespoons cold water
- add 4 drops red food coloring (optional)
- add 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- add 1 tablespoon butter
- add 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- add 3/4 cup sugar
- add 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- add 1/2 cup shortening
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 2 (14.5 ounce) cans pitted tart cherries
- In a bowl, combine the flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add enough water until dough forms a ball. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut out eight 5-in. circles. Place each over an inverted custard cup on an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; flute edges. Bake at 450 degrees F for 10-11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing tart shells from custard cups; cool completely on wire racks.
- For filling, in a saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Drain cherries, reserving 1 cup juice. Set cherries aside. Stir reserved juice into the sugar mixture until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the cherries, butter, almond extract and food coloring if desired. Cool to room temperature. Spoon about 1/4 cup filling into each tart shell.