If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 bay leaf 5 tablespoons butter
- add 1/2 cup chopped onion
- add 6 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- add 5 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
- add 8 ounces button mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- add 1 3/4 cups frozen mixed vegetables (from one 16-ounce bag), thawed
- add 1/3 cup whipping cream <a href="/recipes/recipe_views/views/103108">Dough for Dilled Buttermilk Biscuits</a> (unbaked)
- add 1 4 1/2- to 5-pound chicken, quartered, giblets reserved
- add 3/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- add 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- Combine chicken, giblets, broth and bay leaf in large pot. Cover partially; simmer until chicken is just cooked through, rearranging chicken occasionally, about 25 minutes. Transfer chicken to large bowl.
- Simmer broth over medium-high heat until reduced to 2 1/2 cups liquid, about 15 minutes. Strain broth; discard solids. Remove skin and bones from chicken pieces. Tear meat into bite-size pieces; transfer to bowl.
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion and thyme. Sauté until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are tender, about 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Sprinkle vegetables with flour; saut 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in reduced broth. Add mixed vegetables. Simmer until broth thickens, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir chicken and cream into sauce; season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm before continuing.)
- Position rack in top third of oven; preheat to 450°F. Divide chicken mixture among six 1 3/4-cup individual casserole dishes or soufflé dishes. Place 1 unbaked 3-inch square of biscuit dough over each. Bake until filling is bubbling and biscuits are puffed and brown, about 12 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.