Servs: 8 Prep: Cook:
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- add 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style whole peeled tomatoes
- add 2 teaspoons salt
- add 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- add 3 pound chicken parts
- add 1 1/2 pounds okra
- add 2 cloves garlic, minced
- add 1 teaspoonfile powder
- add 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- add 1 bay leaf
- add 1 teasppon dried thyme
- add 12 cups water
- add 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- add 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- add 2 stalks celery, chopped
- add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- add 1 teaspoon caynne pepper
- add 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1. Combine water and chicken in large pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender, about 1 hour. Using tongs, transfer chicken to strainer and cool, saving cooking liquid. Remove meat from bones in pieces.
- 2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy skillet over medium heat. Add okra and cook unitil no longer stickly, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes; set aside.
- 3. Stir flour and remaing 1/3 cup oil in heavy large Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat until deep golden brown, stirring frequently, about 6 mintues. add 4 cups reserved chicken cooking broth, okra andouille sausage, tomatoes with their juices, bell pepper, celery, garlic, bay leaf salt, thyme, basil, cayenne and pepper. Cover partially and simmer until thickened, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 4. Spoon off any fat from surgace of gumbo. Add chicken and file powder to gumbo and simmer gently 15 mintues. ( If preparing ahead, cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before serving.) Mound rice in shallow bowls if desired. Ladie gumbo over and serve.