Not you regular Cacciatore. This is a comfort dish made easy and lower in fat using skinless chicken breast.Has a dry rub and is quicker cooking then legs. Rich with lots of browned vegetables. This seems like a lot of work but is made in no time and seems like you've been cooking for hours.
- add 1 bay leaf
- add 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- add 1 large onion
- add 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 1/2 cup white wine (I used sauvignon blanc)
- add 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- add 3 tablespoons olive oil
- add 5 fresh basil leaves
- add 2 stalks celery
- add 4 garlic cloves
- add 8 ounces portabello mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
- add 1 tablespoon olive oil
- add 2 lbs chicken breasts
- add 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- add 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- add 1 red pepper
- add 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- add 1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- add 2 carrots
- In a coffee grinder grind coriander with salt and pepper.
- Rub into chicken.
- Heat a large heavy pot place oil in pot to cover bottom.
- When hot brown chicken 3 minutes each side.
- Remove to plate.
- If needed add oil to pot and stir fry the celery, carrots, red pepper, garlic, mushrooms, and onion seasoned with salt and pepper for 5 minutes till browned.
- Add wine and scrape all the goodness from the bottom of the pan.
- Cook 5 minutes till wine is reduced in half.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for 10 minutes return chicken to pot and cook for 10 more minutes till chicken is cooked.
- Serve on a large platter garnished with fresh basil and lemon slices.
- Top with grated cheese if you like.