I have given this dish to a friend when she came home from giving birth. Put it with fresh packaged pasta, a salad and the chicken with reheating directions and it will be appreciated.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 3 lbs chicken pieces
- add 2 cups tomatoes
- add 1 cup onions
- add 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- add 8 ounces tomato sauce & mushrooms
- add 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- add 2 garlic cloves
- add 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- add 2 bay leaves
- add 1/4 cup butter
- add 3/4 cup green peppers
- Melt butter and brown chicken in a heavy 11" skillet.
- Remove chicken; lightly brown onion, green pepper and garlic.
- Remove garlic.
- Place chicken back in skillet, spooning onion and green pepper over.
- Stir together in a medium bowl undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce w/mushrooms, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves and cayenne pepper.Pour over chicken.Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 30-40 minutes or until chicken is fork tender.
- Remove bay leaves.Transfer chicken to warm platter. skim off any extra fat from sauce, spoon some sauce over chicken.Thicken remaining sauce slightly and stir into pre-cooked spaghetti, adding additional 8 oz can of tomato sauce w/mushrooms in necessary to make enough liquid.