This recipe is loosely based on a Creole Sauce recipe from "The Joy of Cooking". I've tweaked it over the years. Hope you enjoy it.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2 tablespoons olive oil
- add 1 slice ham (optional)
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 1 medium onion
- add 2 cloves garlic
- add 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- add 1 bay leaf
- add 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- add 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- add 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- add 1/4 cup chili sauce
- add 1 stalk celery
- add 6 green olives
- add 1 cup beef broth
- add 1/2 cup green peppers
- add 2 1/2 lbs boneless chicken thighs or boneless chicken breasts
- add 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- add 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- Cut ham into strips if desired; roll in chicken breast or thigh and place cut side down in large baking dish.
- FOR SAUCE: Saute onion, celery, green pepper,and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add tomatoes, broth, chili sauce and all other ingredients.
- Bring to a simmer; Pour over chicken pieces.
- Cover and bake@ 350F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.