This recipe needs a small amount of preperation the day before. This recipe came from a friend who adapted it from a book called "Salads and Summer dishes". Please make sure that you use GREEN peppercorns and not black ones :) Cooking time is nore than enough for pre-soaking the livers and fridge setting times. ZWT REGION: France.
- add 1 small onion
- add 9 whole peppercorns (to garnish)
- add 100 g butter (4 oz)
- add 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- add fresh ground pepper
- add 1 garlic clove
- add 2 cups milk
- add 2 teaspoons crushed green peppercorns
- add 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- add 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- add fresh coriander (cilantro, to garnish)
- add 450 g chicken livers (1 lb)
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Soak the chicken livers in the milk overnight, and before using, drain off the milk and rinse the livers in cold water.
- Melt half the butter in a saucepan and saute the onion gently until soft and golden but not dark brown.
- Add the chicken livers and the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT for the crushed green peppercorns and the rest of the butter. Cook the mixture until the livers become firm and change colour, about 10 minutes.
- Blend the liver mixture in the blender or a food processor and once smooth, stir in the crushed green peppercorns. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving dish, the mixture should "not quite"fill it up. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Melt the remaining butter, and carefully spoon it over the pate, refrigerate until set (approx 1 hour) garnish with whole green peppercorns and coriander.