This is a favorite during the holidays. I think it came from Gourmet Magazine.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 3/4 cup golden raisins
- add 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- add 3/4 teaspoon thyme
- add 4 medium shallots
- add 3 tablespoons port wine
- add 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- add 2 tablespoons cognac or brandy
- add 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- add 2 bay leaves
- add 2 tablespoons madeira wine
- add 1 teaspoon marjoram
- add 1 1/4 lbs pink chicken livers
- add 2 eggs
- add 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- add 3/4 cup madeira wine
- add 2 tablespoons green peppercorns
- Rinse chicken livers and pat dry.
- Place livers in large bowl and pour over 3/4 cup Madeira and macerate for 1 hour.
- Drain and puree in blender.
- Pour in large bowl and add salt, pepper, nutmeg, thyme, marjoram and eggs.
- Set aside.
- Melt 1 T.
- butter in skillet and cook shallots and garlic until soft.
- Add wine, cognac, port and remaining madeira.
- Flame and reduce to 1/2.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Add clarified butter slowly while beating vigorously with wooden spoon.
- Sir in raisins and peppercorns.
- Place in buttered 1 1/2 quart pate mold or souffle.
- Place bay leaves atop.
- Cover with double layer of foil and lid.
- Place in boiling water bath.
- Bake 325 degrees 3 hours.
- Add water as needed.
- Remove and cool on rack.
- Chill in fridge 1 day before serving.