This is a great pate recipe! I have made it with dried cranberries and added 1/3 cup chopped pistachio nuts. Yummy!
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh sage
- add 1/4 cup cognac or other brandy
- add 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- add 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- add 24 slices baguette
- add 1/4 cup olive oil
- add 4 tablespoons salted butter
- add 3/4 cup finely chopped onions
- add 1/3 cup chopped dried tart cherries
- add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- add 1 lb chicken livers
- add 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- To make the pâté:.
- In a small, covered bowl, soak the cherries in the brandy overnight at room temperature.
- Then drain cherries, pressing out brandy, and reserve cherries and brandy separately.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the butter over medium-high heat until melted.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds, and then add the livers.
- Sprinkle with salt, allspice and pepper.
- Cook about 2 minutes, turning livers as needed.
- Add reserved brandy and increase heat to high.
- Cook until livers are just done, and brandy/juice has cooked down until pan is almost dry, about 1½ to 2 minutes.
- Immediately remove from heat and place mixture in a food processor.
- Process until smooth, then add reserved cherries (and nuts) and pulse just enough to mix not to chop them.
- Pack pâté in a 2-cup crock or pâté mold.
- Cover surface with plastic wrap and chill pâté at least 4 hours, can be prepared up to 3 days before serving.
- Serve with Sage Toast.
- To make Sage Toast:.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, heat oil and sage in a very small pan until just warmed.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to infuse sage flavour.
- Lay out baguette slices on a baking sheet and lightly brush slices with the oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and bake for about 10 minutes or until crisp.