A great-tasting pate that is surprisingly east to make.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 1/4 cups ruby port
- add 1 clove garlic
- add 2 large eggs
- add 1 lb chicken livers
- add 1 1/2 cups clarified butter
- add 1 cup milk
- add 2 tablespoons brandy
- add 1 1/4 cups madeira wine
- add 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- add 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- add 2 large egg yolks
- In a bowl, let livers soak in milk, covered and chilled, overnight; drain and puree until smooth.
- Force through a fine sieve into a bowl.
- In a deep saucepan, combine shallots, garlic, thyme, Madeira, Port and brandy.
- Cook over high heat until reduced to about 1/3 cup; let cool.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Butter an 11 x 3 x 2 inch loaf pan.
- Whisk eggs and yolks into liver puree and whisk in shallot mixture, clarified butter and season to taste.
- Turn into a prepared pan, cover with a double layer of foil, set in a larger pan of hot water and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from water, let cool completely, chill overnight.
- Run a knife around edge of pan and unmold onto a platter lined with parsley.
- Serve with an interesting variety of crackers, toast points and black bread.