I've been wanting chicken stuffed peppers but can't eat acidic stuff right now (limited tomato). This is quick, light, super easy and tastes great. I think it could be a great make ahead bake later but haven't tried to do it yet, as I just thought this one up today! I really hope you like it as much as we did!
- add 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- add 1 tablespoon olive oil
- add 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- add 4 ounces honey-baked ham or smoked ham
- add 1/2 cup diced onions
- add 1 medium tomato
- add salt & pepper
- add 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- add 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- add 4 ounces fat-free cheddar cheese or fat-free monterey jack cheese, shreaded,separated into half (I use Veggie Shreads Soy Cheese)
- add 2 teaspoons olive oil
- add 2 large green bell peppers
- add 3 cloves minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In 11 x 7" or 9 x 13" glass or microwavable pan, microwave pepper halves cut side down in approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch water, at half power (depends on microwave as they vary) for 4-5 minutes (until tender crisp), drain excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat 1 T Olive Oil over Med High heat.
- Season Chicken with Salt& Pepper to taste.
- Add Chicken and Mushrooms to skillet, saute 2-3 minutes, add Onion, Garlic and 1/2 of Chicken Stock.
- Saute uncovered until Chicken stock is evaporated/absorbed.
- In same glass pan, line the inside of each pepper half with ham slices to cover, add 1/4 of halved cheese to each pepper, stuff with chicken mixture and top with thin tomato slices.
- Pour remaining Chicken stock over top, cover loosely with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil baste each pepper with stock in pan, then cover with remaining cheese.
- Return to oven for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- While peppers are cooking prepare noodles.
- I like to substitue 1 chicken bullion cube for the optional salt to the cooking water.
- Prepare according to package directions, drain and toss with remaining olive oil.
- To serve: Place Stuffed Pepper on Bed of Noodles and spoon juice from pan over noodles.