Craving Mexican? Tasty shredded chicken in sauce will leave you craving more. This recipe will make enough to leave you with leftovers! It reheats well too...in fact I think it gets better with time...
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 cup canned or jarred tomatillo salsa
- add 2 onions (1 halved, 1 chopped)
- add 1 whole chicken
- add 1 red pepper
- add salt and pepper
- add 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- add 1 quart water (about)
- add 2 cans green chilies
- add 3-4 cloves garlic
- add 1 bunch cilantro (about 3/4 cup chopped)
- In a fairly shallow soup pot, place chicken, water, 1 onion, halved, 2 cloves garlic, halved, and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 1-2 hours until chicken is very tender and falling off bones.
- Remove chicken, and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Strain stock, and discard veggies, reserving the stock in the same pot.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred chicken, by pulling it apart, discarding skin and bones.
- Add meat to soup pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, or until desired thickness of sauce is achieved.
- Serve in burritos with rice, beans, cheese, sour cream and guacamole.