I'm not usually wild about foods coated in batter and fried, but these are VERY good.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 3 tablespoons flour
- add oil (for frying)
- add 1/2 lb monterey jack cheese
- add 1 (7 ounce) can green chilies
- add 3 eggs
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- add 1/2 cup flour
- Drain and rinse the chilies, and cut a slit down the side of each; gently remove seeds& pith inside.
- Stuff each chili with a 1/2-inch square piece of cheese 1-inch shorter than the chili; slightly overlap the cut edges of the chili to hold cheese inside.
- Roll each chili in flour in a shallow pan to coat all over, gently shaking off excess.
- Beat the egg whites into soft peaks.
- Separately beat the yolks with 1 Tbs water plus the flour and salt until thick& creamy.
- Fold the beaten whites into the yolk mixture.
- Heat about 1½ inch of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Dip the stuffed chilies into the fluffy batter, place them in a saucer, and slide them into the hot oil.
- When the bottoms are golden brown, gently turn, using a spatula and a fork, and cook other side, 3-4 minutes per side.
- The coating will be fluffy.
- Drain on paper towels.