These are soooo good! My family gobbles these up fast! Prep and cook times are approximate. This is not a fast, throw together mexican dish.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening or lard
- add 8 large flour tortillas
- add 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- add 2 teaspoons salt
- add 2 tablespoons flour
- add 1 garlic clove
- add 1 1/2 lbs boneless pork shoulder
- add vegetable oil (for frying)
- add 1 1/2 lbs beef chuck steaks or round steaks
- add 3/4-1 cup canned diced mild green chilies (about two 4oz. cans)
- add 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- add 4 cups water
- Heat beef, pork and water to boiling in a large kettle; lower heat; cover.
- Simmer for about 1-1/2 hours.
- Drain meat and reserve 1 cup of the broth.
- Shred meat when cool enough to handle.
- Heat shortening or lard in a large saucepan.
- Add onion, 3/4 cup of the chilies and the garlic; saute for 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour, salt, cumin, reserved broth and shredded meat; cook until mixture is moist, but quite thick; (Add more chilies if you like it hotter).
- Keep meat mixture warm.
- Heat 1 tortilla on a large griddle or very large skillet over low heat until soft and pliable.
- Spread about 3/4 cup meat mixture over the lower third of the tortilla in a band about 4" long and 1" wide.
- Work quickly so that tortilla does not get crisp.
- Fold the bottom edge of the tortilla up over filling to cover it almost completely.
- Then fold the two sides in towards the center over the filling and start rolling the filling into a cylinder shape.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Heat 1/2" oil in a large skillet till very hot.
- Saute two chimchangas at a time in hot oil until golden brown, turning with two broad spatulas.
- Drain on paper toweling; keep warm while cooking remainder.
- Serve with my green chile salsa posted posted on this site.
- Garnish with shredded lettuce and avocado slices, if you wish.