from a mid-70's Woman's Day magazine.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 (4 ounce) can diced mild green chilies (1/2 cup)
- add 2 teaspoons salt
- add 2 tablespoons flour
- add 2 tablespoons oil
- add 1 (16 ounce) canned whole tomatoes
- add 1 1/2 lbs boneless pork shoulder
- add 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- add 3/4-1 cup canned diced green chilies
- add 4 cups water
- add 1 large onion
- add 1 1/2 lbs beef chuck or beef round steak
- add 8 large flour tortillas
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- add 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- add 1 garlic clove
- Heat beef,pork and water to boiling in a large kettle; lower heat, cover.
- simmer until meat is fork tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- drain meat and reserve 1 cup broth.
- shred meat when cool enough to handle.
- heat oil in a large saucepan.
- add the onion, green chilis and garlic, saute 1 minute.
- add flour, salt and cumin; cook 1 minute.
- stir in reserved broth and shredded meat.
- cook until mixture is moist but quite thick.
- keep warm.
- heat 1 tortilla on a large griddle or very large skillet until soft and pliable.
- spread about 3/4 cup meat mixture over the lower third of the tortilla in a band about 4 inches long and 1 inch wide.
- work quickly so the tortilla does not get crisp.
- fold the bottom edge of the tortilla up over the filling to cover it almost completly.
- then fold the two sides in towards the center over the filling and start rolling the filling into a cylinder.
- repeat until all are filled.
- heat 1/2 inch oil in a large skillet until very hot.
- saute two chimichangas at a time in hot oil until golden, turning with two broad spatulas.
- drain on paper towels.
- serve with green chili salsa.
- garnish with shredded lettuce and avocado slices.