For Shae, who discovered this on a Chinese buffet. I had found this on a buffet also. It is a great little dish, with a little bite of pepper that is quite addictive!
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- add 1 teaspoon black pepper
- add 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- add 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (skinless boneless breast substitution ok)
- add cooking oil
- add 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- add 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- add 1 large onion
- add 1 teaspoon rice wine or sake
- add 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- add hot steamed rice
- Note: This recipe calls for boneless thigh meat, which is preferred, but I tried using breast meat and the result was fine also.
- Mix together sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut chicken into a small dice, about 1/4-inch.
- Heat 1-2 cups peanut or other cooking oil in your wok.
- Place cornstarch in a small bowl and begin to dust chicken pieces, shaking off excess.
- Fry in hot oil in small batches until crispy and golden, about 2-3 minutes; drain.
- Remove oil from wok and discard.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok and stir-fry onion about 1 minute; add peas and carrots and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add sauce mixture to wok along with chicken pieces and stir to coat everything evenly.
- Serve at once with hot steamed rice.