My version of Chinese Egg Rolls. Family and neighbors love these.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 egg
- add 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- add 12-14 egg roll wraps
- add 2-3 cups shredded and chopped napa cabbage
- add 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- add 1/2 teaspoon chili paste (optional)
- add 1 cup coarsley chopped canned mung bean sprouts
- add 1 cup finely diced bamboo shoots
- add 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- add 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- add 1 lb ground pork (NOT pork sausage)
- add 4 finely minced scallions
- add 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- add oil, to fill deep fryer according to mfg directions heated to 350 degrees (F)
- HINT: Put egg roll wrappers in freezer the night before and then thaw about 1 hour before using.
- This seems to make them separate more easily.
- Brown pork with 1 TBS soy sauce in wok, drain, remove from wok, and set aside.
- Add peanut oil to wok and stir-fry vegetables until slightly wilted.
- (3 or 4 minutes) Combine pork and vegetables in wok.
- Mix well soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chili paste, and cornstarch.
- Add to meat-vegetable mix and stir until mixture becomes quite thick.
- Mixture should be very sticky with a minimum of moisture.
- Cool mixture to room temperature.
- Place egg roll wrapper on hard, flat surface with one corner pointing towards you.
- Place 1/3 cup meat-vegetable mixture in center of wrapper.
- Fold lower corner over and then under meat mixture, squeezing as much air out as possible.
- Brush exposed egg roll wrapper edges with egg wash.
- Fold side corners over egg roll.
- Finish by rolling egg roll towards upper corner, again squeezing out as much air as possible.
- Deep fry until golden brown.
- NOTE: finely minced, cooked shrimp or browned, ground chicken may be substituted for pork.
- DIPPING SAUCES FOR EGG ROLLS.
- Catsup-horseradish (1/4 cup catsup, 1 TBS prepared horseradish).
- Soy Sauce/Hoisin (3 TBS soy sauce, 1 1/2 tsp hoisin sauce).
- Catsup/Hot Mustard (Place equal amounts side-by-side do NOT mix).
- Sweet and Sour Sauce (commercially available).
- Plum Sauce (commercially available).
- Teriyaki Sauce (commercially available).