Easy to make fried chicken is adapted from The Cooking of China. Prep time include 2 hour marinating time.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2 1/2-3 lbs chickens
- add 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- add 1/2 cup flour
- add 2 tablespoons soy sauce (I use low sodium)
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- add 1/2 inch gingerroot
- add 3 cups peanut oil (for frying) or use other oil
- add 1 scallion
- Chop the 8 chicken pieces (2 wings, 2 thighs, 2 drumsticks, 2 breast halves) into 2-inch pieces cutting across the bones.
- Rinse chicken, drain and pat with paper towels.
- In a large bowl combine next 6 ingredients (soy sauce- ginger), stirring until salt& sugar dissolve.
- Add chicken to bowl, tossing so all the pieces are coated with mixture.
- Marinate for 1-2 hours at room temperature or overnight in refrigerator.
- Drain marinade and discard.
- Wipe chicken pices dry with paper towels.
- Pour the oil into wok or deep-fryer and heat over med high heat until oil forms a haze or it registers 375-degrees F on deep frying thermoter.
- Put flour in plastic or paper baggies.
- Add chicken and shake well to coat chicken evenly.
- Drop chicken pieces in hot oil, turning frequently for 5 minutes or until golden brown on both sides.
- Do not crowd pan, as chicken pieces finish cooking drain on paper towels until all the chicken is done.
- Drain well on paper towels.