Servs: 12 Prep: Cook:
These cookies, popularly known as French cakes are my absolte favorite. I baked them myself for this thanksgiving, and gave the classic cookies a twist by adding orange zest flavor and dipping them in molten chocolate!
- add 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- add 1 cup all-purpose flour
- add 1/2 tspn baking powder
- add A pinch of salt
- add 3 large eggs
- add 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- add 2 tsp vanilla essence
- add 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- add 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- add 2 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Dark Chocolate - coarsely chopped
- add Madeleine Pans (you can buy one online here)
- Heat butter in small heavy saucepan over medium heat just until very light golden brown and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl with a hand blender until tripled in volume. Lower speed to medium and beat in the vanilla, orange juice and orange zest. Fold in flour mixture a little (1/3rd) at a time. Finally fold in the cooled butter. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until slightly firm.
- Preheat oven to 375?F. Apply butter or non-stick cooking spray to two 12-mold madeleine pans and dust them with flour. Drop a generous spoonful or two of batter into center of each prepared mold, leaving the batter mounded in the center. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown and centers spring back when lightly touched.
- Remove the pans from oven and tap them sharply against a countertop to release the madeleines, then leave them to cool on wire racks.
- Place chocolate in small microwave-safe cup. Microwave on medium (50% power) for 1 minute or a little more, stirring every 30 seconds, until chocolate has almost melted. Whisk a little to make it smooth. Do NOT overheat.
- Dip each madeleine into melted chocolate, coating bottom third part of the cookie. Shake off excess chocolate and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Repeat for all the cookies and leave at room temperature for 1 hour or until chocolate is set.