This divine dessert is a chocoholic's dream come true with its moist made-from-scratch cake and crunchy meringue.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2 1/2 cups whipped topping
- add 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- add 1/2 cup buttermilk
- add 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- add 1/2 cup water
- add 1 cup sugar
- add 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- add 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- add 2/3 cup sugar
- add 1 egg
- add 1 teaspoon baking soda
- add 4 egg whites
- add 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- add 1/2 ounce semisweet chocolate
- add 1 egg white
- add 1 tablespoon toffee pieces or almond brickle chips
- add 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- add 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; trace two 8-in.
- circles 1 inch apart on the paper; set aside In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add sugar one tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Sift confectioners' sugar and cocoa over meringue; gently fold inches Fold in vanilla. Spread evenly over circles. Bake at 275°F for 1 hour. Turn oven off and do not open door; Let meringues dry for 1 hour. Remove meringues from paper and store in an airtight container.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar for 2 minutes. Add egg, then egg white, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Stir in vinegar and vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, and baking soda; add to batter alternately with buttermilk and water. Pour into two 9-inch round baking pans coated with nonstick cooking spray and floured. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- To assemble, spread 1/2 cup whipped topping over one cake layer; top with a meringue and another 1/2 cup topping. Top with second cake layer, 1/2 cup topping, second meringue, and remaining topping. Sprinkle with toffee bits and shaved chocolate.