Servs: 12 Cook:
This recipe from Veggie Life became one of our favorites An eggless, milkless cake that turns out very nice every time. I prefer the Creme De Menthe version to the tea or the peppermint extract version. The peppermint extract version is almost like a peppermint patty. The Creme De Menthe is more like a Andies.
- add 1-1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- add 1 cup sugar
- add 1/3 cup cocoa
- add 1 teaspoon baking soda
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 1 cup cooled strong peppermint tea or 1/2 tsp peppermint extract or 1/2 tsp creme de menthe
- add 1/2 cup canola oil
- add 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- add Creamy Chocolate Frosting:
- add 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- add 6 ounces firm silken tofu
- add 1 cup sifted powdered sugar (sift before measuring)
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract or 1/8 tsp creme de menthe
- add Sprinkles:
- add Small candy canes or crushed
- add peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a standard 12-muffin tin with paper liners.
- Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together tea, oil, and vinegar. Add wet to dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Distribute batter evenly into paper-lined cups of muffin tin. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until tops are springy to the touch. Remove from tin and cool completely on a rack before frosting.
- To decorate: Frost each cupcake generously; top with a candy cane or sprinkle with crushed candy.
- Icing [use your own favorite instead]
- In the top of a double boiler over gently simmering water, melt chocolate.
- In a food processor, combine tofu, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Add melted chocolate and blend until smooth.
- Makes 1-1/2 cups