Very soft decadent, yet low-fat cupcakes. These do not contain egg and can easily be made vegan. Un-iced, they are still extremely good cake-like muffins. NOTE: these cupcakes had a VERY mild citrus flavour. I have since added orange zest to the recipe for a more prevalent citrusy flavour.
- add 1 tablespoon vinegar
- add 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla
- add 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- add 1/4 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
- add 1/2 cup orange juice
- add 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- add 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- add 1/2 cup sugar
- add 1 orange, zest of
- add 1 teaspoon baking soda
- add 3 tablespoons oil
- add 1/3 cup water
- In a medium bowl combine flours, sugar, cocoa and baking soda.
- In a large bowl combine juice, water, oil, vinegar, vanilla, and orange extract (if desired) and orange zest.
- Add flour mixture to the juice mixture; stir until just moistened.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spray 12 medium muffin cups or use paper liners.
- Fill cups half full with batter.
- Bake at 375F 13-16 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.