If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 cup sweet butter
- add 1 tablespoon cold water
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add cayenne pepper
- add 3 egg yolks
- add 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- Place egg yolks and water in the top of a double boiler and beat well with a wire whip or fork.
- Put all but 2 tbs of the butter in a small saucepan over moderately low heat (about 225F degrees) until just melted.
- Add 1 tbs of the cold butter to the egg and water mixture and place over hot, not boiling water.
- Whip constantly until egg yolks thicken slightly.
- Remove from heat and whip in the second tbs of cold butter.
- Gradually pour the melted butter into the egg mixture, beating constantly.
- Place over hot, not boiling, water (water below should not touch bottom of pan) cook until thickened, whipping constantly.
- Thickened Hollandaise should hold the imprint when a fork or whip is drawn across the surface.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, salt, and cayenne.
- Sauce may be placed in top of double boiler over hot, not boiling, water, covered, and kept until serving time.
- Serve with vegetables, baked or broiled fish, and shell-fish.
- Note: if you use salted butter, omit the salt in the recipe.