I don't drink coffee at all, so I haven't made this recipe, but it sounds very interesting, so I'm posting it for the benefit of those that like coffee. Another interesting ingredient here is the cream of wheat. This is a recipe from a famous Mexican chef. Preparation time does not include preparation of wrapping leaves.
- add 300 g prunes
- add 160 g sugar
- add 8 egg yolks
- add 160 g uncooked cream of wheat
- add 1/2 cup butter
- add 1 tablespoon coffee
- add slightly toasted banana leaves or presoaked corn husks
- add 1 1/2 liters milk (6 cups)
- add 8 egg whites
- Boil milk with sugar and coffee.
- Once it has started to boil, add the cream of wheat gradually , stirring with a wooden spoon, until it has a compact doughy consistency.
- Withdraw from stove top and add the butter and egg yolks, mixing well.
- Next add the beaten egg whites to soft peak stage, folding them inches
- Have the banana leaves lightly toasted over a stove top 2 burner grill or presoaked corn leaves ready for filling.
- Spread about 1 scant tablespoon of dough on the ceneter of each leaf , placing 2 or 3 chopped prunes in the center.
- Wrap and secure tamales and cook in a tall vapor pot for an hour.