This is one of those true German recipes. My dear MIL is a "true" German. Trying to get measurements from her is like pulling teeth. I have made this for DH for 34 years now. I still throw it together without measuring so today while preparing it I tried to eyeball the amounts. Hope it works for you and that it is enjoyed. There is no sugar included like most potato salads. DH does like mayo on the side.
- add 1/2 cup onions
- add 2 beef bouillon cubes
- add salt & pepper
- add 3 slices bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- add 1/4 cup water
- add 4 medium white potatoes (Cooked)
- add 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- add 1 tablespoon butter
- add 1/4 cup vinegar
- Cook potatoes in skin till tender (not too soft) needs to be on the firm side. Set aside to cool.
- Saute' onion in water and butter till high simmer.
- Add boullion cubes. Set aside to cool.
- Peel cooled potatoes and slice into circles about 1/8 inch thick.
- Put potatoes in casserole dish.
- Drizzle oil and vinager over top of potatoes.
- Pour onion mixture on top, salt & pepper to taste finish with crumbled bacon bits.
- Do not mix at this time. Let sit at least 1-2 hours in the refrigerator to let flavors blend. Over night is best.
- Serve cold or bring to room temperature.
- Mix all together before serving.