This recipe combines two of my DH's favorite desserts -- sugar cookies and lemon bars. Using packaged cookie dough makes this come together really quickly. I adapted this from a recipe I got in an email, and love the result of the three different sources of tart-lemonness.
- add 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- add 1 cup sugar
- add 3 eggs
- add 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- add 1 (18 ounce) roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- add 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- add 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- add 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- add 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Slice cookie dough as directed on package. Arrange slices in bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch glass pan. With lightly floured fingers, press dough evenly in pan. (Even though the cookie dough is cold/just out of the fridge, pressing it down is pretty easy. It'll take the whole roll to cover the 13x9 pan).
- Bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- In large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, flour and baking powder; blend well. Blend together lemon juice, lemon extract and lemon zest. Add lemon mixture to egg-sugar mixture, and pour over warm crust.
- Bake at 350°F for an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until top is light golden brown. Cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar; cut into bars.