Cheap Eats ($0-1 per person)
Servs: 6 Makes: 12 to 14 muffins Prep: Cook:
These whole-grain cornmeal muffins, lightly sweetened with honey, are the perfect accompaniment to a hearty chili or plate of braised collard greens.
- add 1 1/2 cup stone-ground cornmeal, finely ground (see Recipe Tips)
- add 1 cup low-fat 1% buttermilk or low-fat plain yogurt (see Recipe Tips)
- add 1 cup fresh corn kernels or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- add 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour (see Recipe Tips)
- add 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- add 2 tablespoons of honey
- add 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- add 1 jalepeño, seeded and diced
- add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a standard muffin tin by lining it with muffin liners or greasing with canola oil.
- 2. Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate small bowl, mix together the buttermilk, applesauce, and honey. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- 3. Stir in the corn, jalapeño, and nutritional yeast. Spoon batter into the muffin tin, filling each muffin cup about three-quarters full.
- 4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- For more healthy and delicious recipes check out One Medical's free e-book