We like spicy so I added some Louisiana hot sauce to the mixture or you can add in a finely chopped jalapeno pepper in place of the bell peppers or use both, or about 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste. Next time you make chili, serve these on the side, they are so good! If you don't have any cornbread molds, you can just drop in some batter (about 3-4 tablespoons) into a regular size muffin tins, the cornbread will come out in a round shape... adjust the baking time. Yield is only estimated depending on size of the molds. These are best served warm.
- add 3/4 teaspoon salt
- add 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- add 1 1/4 cups buttermilk (room temperature)
- add 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- add 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- add 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, finely grated (can use more)
- add 1/4 cup butter
- add 1 cup flour
- add 1 egg
- add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- add 1/4 cup red bell peppers (can use green pepper or use both, very finely chopped)
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat cast-iron stick molds liberally with oil.
- In a bowl, mix together cornmeal, flour, dark sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In another bowl whisk together buttermilk, melted butter and egg; add into the dry ingredients.
- Add in the chopped bell pepper and shredded cheddar cheese; mix to combine (add in more buttermilk if needed to create a pourable consistancy).
- Place the oiled cast-iron molds in the oven for about 5 minutes (make certain to have the cornmeal batter ready to pour into the hot molds after 5 minutes).
- Carefully remove the hot molds from oven and evenly divide/fill the batter between each mold.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the corn sticks test done (it might take more or less time depending on the size of molds).
- Using a sharp knife, gently lift out the sticks from the molds.