The way my mum made it, the way I make it. Mum used to cook her veggies (potatoes, carrots, parsnips, tiny onions) in the water, putting them in about 45 minutes before the meat was cooked. I find them over salty done this way. Reserve a half a cup of strained cooking liquid to make my Mustard Sauce for Corned Beef recipe #21617.Leftovers make good sandwiches with relish or chutney.
- add 10 peppercorns
- add 2 tablespoons sugar
- add 3 cloves
- add 2 tablespoons vinegar
- add water
- add 1 onion
- add 2 kg corned beef (silverside is good)
- add 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Place all ingredients in a large saucepan, making sure there is enough water to cover the piece of meat.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a lid.
- Cook for about 2 hours, or until very tender.
- Allow to rest in the water for about 20 minutes before slicing.
- Recommend serving with Mustard Sauce for Corned Beef recipe#21617.