I have made cottage rolls often but couldnt find a recipe here on Zaar so I thought I would post my old standby. It is like a corned beef flavour wise but it is a ham made from pork shoulder. It is much cheaper than pork roast, ham or corned beef usually.
- add 1 medium onion
- add 5 carrots
- add 1 (3 lb) cottage ham (Cottage Roll)
- add 5 medium potatoes
- add 2 cups largely chopped cabbage (optional)
- Place cottage roll in roasting pan or crockpot.
- Surround it with potatoes, carrots, onion and cabbage if you like.
- You can add as many as will fit or what you need for supper or use any size cottage roll that will fit.
- Sprinkle with pepper and cover roast 3/4 with water.
- cover and Bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours or in crockpot on high 6 hours or low 8-10 hours.
- Cottage roll should fall apart like a pot roast.
- Serve with mustard (dijon is my favorite).
- The leftover stock can be spiced up as a gravy or makes a great bean or pea soup base.