Servs: 8 Prep: Cook:
"I have three small children and I'm always trying new meat loaf recipes. This recipe is something I developed, and it's one of the first meat loaves that my kids really went for. See if your kids like it, too!"
- add 1 cup water
- add 2 teaspoons sugar
- add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- add 1/4 cup olive oil
- add 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- add 2 pounds ground beef or combination of ground beef, pork and veal
- add 3 tablespoons milk
- add MEAT LOAF:
- add 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- add 2 eggs, beaten
- add 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- add 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 1 garlic clove, minced
- add HERB SAUCE:
- add 1 large onion, finely chopped
- add 1 bay leaf
- add 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- In a skillet, heat oil on high. Saute the mushrooms; onion and garlic. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper and sugar. Remove 1-1/2 cups. Add water, bay leaf and basil to skillet. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine all meat loaf ingredients with 1-1/2 cups reserved sauce. press into a 9-in. x 5-in.x 3-in. loaf pan lined with waxed paper. Unmold onto a roasting pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Remove from oven; drain. Spread 1/2 cup of herb sauce over top of meat loaf. Return to oven for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf and serve remaining sauce over individual servings.