This is the recipe I took to compete in the Cleveland County Fair. I won second place!
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 cup buttermilk
- add 1 tablespoon vanilla
- add 3 tablespoons flour
- add 1 tablespoon vinegar
- add 1 cup milk
- add 1 1/2 cups sugar
- add 2 cups flour
- add 2 ounces red food coloring (or 1 oz. mixed with 1 oz. water)
- add 2 eggs
- add 1 teaspoon baking soda
- add 2 tablespoons cocoa
- add 1/2 lb butter (no subs)
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- add 1 cup sugar
- add 1/2 cup shortening
- Cream shortening with sugar; add eggs.
- Combine cocoa and food coloring to make a paste.
- Stir into creamed mixture.
- Sift four and salt together.
- Then with electric mixer at medium speed, add alternately with buttermilk to mixture.
- Blend well; add vanilla.
- Combine vinegar and soda and while still foaming, add to batter.
- Do not beat; instead stir gently.
- Bake in 2 greased and floured layer cake pans at 350° for 30-35 minutes.
- Icing: Cook flour and milk over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar, butter and vanilla.
- Beat at high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Spread on cooled cake.
- Icing will take a length of time to set; it resembles whip cream when cool.