I came across this recipe a while ago and think it will be a great Father's Day meal. Recipe source: Coyote Cafe
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 4 onions
- add 4 rib eye steaks, 1 1/2 inch thick bone-in (or t-bone steaks)
- add 3 teaspoons cumin
- add 2 teaspoons sugar
- add 3 teaspoons salt
- add vegetable oil (for deep frying the onion rings)
- add 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- add 3 cups milk
- add 3 cups flour
- add 2 teaspoons paprika (hot Hungarian is best)
- add 1/2 cup chili powder
- add 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- add salt and pepper
- Bring steaks to room temperature before grillng.
- Soak onons in milk for one hour, drain.
- In a large bowl or pie pan mix together flour, chile powder, cornstarch, salt, cumin, sugar and paprika.
- Dredge onions in flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Heat oil in a large heavy frying pan (cast iron works well) and heat to 360-degrees F.
- Add onions in batches, cooking until golden brown --BE CAREFUL - they cook fast (30-45 seconds). Transfer onion rings to paper towels to drain off excess grease.
- Meanwhile, season steaks with salt and pepper and place in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Cook about 7-10 minutes per side, pouring off excess fat before turning. Finish cooking steaks on the grill (or skip the frying step and just grill steaks to desired doneness (10 minutes per side).
- Serve steaks with onion rings, baked potatoes and salsa, or as desired.