Serve these bad boys with a side of Yucca Fries (Yucca Fries (Yuca) Recipe #153368) for a bona fide foot stompin' good meal! Adapted from Steven Raichlen. WINE: The chili rub and charred onions shout out for an equally zesty California Zinfandel. Look for such peppery, fruity examples as the Amici Cellars 2002 or a 1997 Alexander Valley or even the 2003 EOS.
- add 1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- add 1 1/2 tablespoons pure chile powder
- add kosher salt
- add 2 large onions
- add 6 (1 lb) beef t-bone steaks
- add 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- add fresh ground black pepper
- add 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Combine chile powder, cayenne, cumin and oregano with 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper. Rub the steaks all over with the spice mixture and place on a platter until they come to room temperature.
- Light the grill or set oven to broil and place rack on top level. Lightly oil a broiling pan and place in oven to heat. Brush the onions with oil and season with salt and black pepper. If using a grill put onions over the hot fire until charred, about 8 minutes. If broiling, set aside.
- Grill the steaks over the hot fire for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare or broil the steaks 6-7 minutes a side on heated broiling pan along with oil coated onions. Place steaks on plates and top with the onions. Serve Yucca Fries (Yucca Fries (Yuca) Recipe #153368) on the side.