Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 3 tablespoons finely chopped sweet pickle
- add 1 tablespoon drained capers, chopped fine
- add <B>For mustard mayonnaise:</B>
- add 1/2 pound lump crab meat, picked over
- add 2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg
- add 1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
- add 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- add vegetable oil for fryingtwo 5-inch lengths soft-crumb French bread, split and toasted lightly
- add 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- add 1/4 cup minced onion
- add 2 iceberg lettuce leaves, sliced thin
- add 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- add 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallion greens
- add 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- add cayenne to taste
- add 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon fine dry bread crumbs
- add 1 tablespoon Creole or Dijon mustard<B>For crab burgers:</B>
- Make mustard mayonnaise:
- In a bowl whisk together mayonnaise ingredients and reserve.
- Make crab burgers:
- In a small heavy skillet cook onion and bell pepper in butter over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened. In a bowl stir together onion mixture, crab meat, scallion greens, mayonnaise, egg, 1 tablespoon bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne, and salt to taste.
- Put remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs in a small bowl and put a piece of plastic wrap on a work surface. Form one fourth crab mixture into a 3-inch patty (it will be soft) and coat with bread crumbs, transferring to plastic wrap. Make 3 more patties in same manner with remaining crab mixture and bread crumbs.
- In a 10-inch heavy deep skillet heat 1/4 inch oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and fry patties until golden and cooked through, about 2 1/2 minutes on each side, transferring to paper towels to drain.
- Spread bread with reserved mustard mayonnaise and sandwich crab burgers and lettuce between bread.