Servs: 6 Prep: Cook:
"My mom's tasty creamed chicken makes a wonderful main dish, and when you add extra vegetables, it becomes an entire meal. The recipe might look long, but it's well worth the effort. -Mared Metzger Beling, Eagle River, Alaska"
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- add 5 tablespoons butter or margarine
- add 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- add 2 (10 ounce) packages puff pastry shells
- add 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- add 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- add 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- add 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
- add 2 cups milk
- add 2 quarts water
- add 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- add 1/2 cup small fresh broccoli florets
- In a large kettle, bring the chicken, water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth; cool. Remove meat from bones; cut into cubes and set aside. Discard skin and bones. Drain broth and skim fat; set aside 1 cup broth (refrigerate remaining broth for another use).
- Bake pastry shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, green pepper and broccoli in butter until tender; sprinkle with flour. Gradually stir in milk and reserved broth until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the pimientos, paprika, reserved chicken and remaining salt and pepper. Cook and stir until heated through. Spoon into pastry shells.