I adopted this recipe from Recipezaar and have since made the recipe. It's very good and the only change I made was using 1 teaspoon dried thyme, as I didn't have fresh in the garden. The original poster said this recipe was adapted from Michael Chiarello.
- add 1 onion
- add 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- add 1 cup mayonnaise
- add 1 garlic clove
- add 1 1/2 cups roughly cut pancetta
- add fresh ground black pepper
- add 1 cup sour cream
- add 3 tablespoons olive oil
- add 3 heads iceberg lettuce
- add 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme leaves
- Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- When the pan is hot, add the olive and heat.
- When the oil is hot, add pancetta and saute, and caramelize for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir onion into mixture, toss and saute for another 10 minutes, until the onion begins to brown.
- Add garlic, thyme, and cider vinegar, and remove from heat.
- Allow mixture to cool for about a 1/2 an hour.
- Place cooled mixture into bowl, add mayonnaise and sour cream.
- Season with black pepper, to taste.
- Serve over iceberg wedges.