These are delicious and so easy to make! They remind me of Navajo Tacos that my mom made when I was growing up. The texture of the tostada is so thick and delicous- very filling. We love all the recommended toppings listed. We usually don't have all on hand. I've also substituted leftover shredded beef for the ground beef and they were delicious too! I make these a couple times a month. Enjoy!
- add 1 1/4 cups milk
- add 1/2-3/4 cup water
- add 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- add shredded cheddar cheese
- add 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- add sour cream
- add salsa
- add shredded lettuce
- add 2 garlic cloves
- add salt and pepper
- add vegetable oil (for frying)
- add sliced olives
- add 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- add guacamole
- add sliced green onions
- add 3 cups flour
- add 5 teaspoons baking powder
- add 1 lb ground beef
- add chopped tomatoes
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder; add milk and form a soft dough.Knead until mixed thoroughly.Cover and let rest 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown beef and garlic in large skillet until meat is no longer pink; drain well.
- Add chilies, taco seasoning, salt and pepper if desired, and water.Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in beans and heat through; keep warm.
- In a deep fat fryer or skillet, preheat oil to 375.
- Separate dough into 6 equal portions.Roll over lightly floured surface into a 7 inch circle.
- Fry tostadas in hot oil until golden, turning once; drain on paper towels.
- Immediately top each tostada with meat mixture and desired toppings.