Servs: 6 Prep: Cook:
I got tired of the chalky taste of beef stew so I started experimenting and this turned out real well. I also do not like an over powering tomato taste. Everyone seems to like this one!
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add Vivian's Beef Stew Recipe
- add 1 medium pack of stew beef?..
- add 1 Large Onion
- add 1/2 Cup of Red or burgundy wine or a good merlot?.
- add The kind that is good to drink. Experiment with your favorite reds and burgundy.
- add (pronounced merlow, it adds flavor and sweetness)
- add 2 Tablespoon of raw sugar or brown sugar, more to taste later if needed.
- add 1 Can of diced tomatoes ( garlic and basil in it)
- add 3 lbs of Potatoes cut and cubed
- add 1 package small carrots
- add 3 Teaspoons of Lipton onion soup mix
- add 1 Tablespoon of Paprika
- add 1 Tablespoon of Garlic powder?(NOT GARLIC SALT)
- Boil cubes potatoes for about ten mins to soften them up a little but still firm.
- Cook carrots the same way. You can cook them together if you want.
- Drain all but a little water (save a cup) and put in the crock pot. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a half cup of the water that you saved off the potatoes to the crock pot. Add the can of diced tomatoes in the crock at this time. Cover and let cook until you get the meat ready?..
- In a pan put some olive oil and a teaspoon of Crisco. Turn down real low while you take the stew beef and mix in some flour; just cover the stew beef with a dusting of flour, about two Tablespoons, or enough to cover the meat thoroughly... Put in your skillet or pan in the oil brown on each side??after it browns a little Add the onion you have already sliced up in rings. Stir thoroughly and cover.
- Take the onions and stew beef up and put aside. Make sure you don?t burn the onions; just let them simmer and steam in the beef.
- Then take the ? cup of wine and put in the dripping in the pan?..make sure you put it in the pan very slowly. Take a spatula and scrape the bottom of the pan very good?.then add the meat and onions back in the pan. Cover and simmer for at least five or ten minutes to incorporate your wine flavor in the beef.
- After you have simmered it then put in the crock pot with that mixture you have in there.
- Cover with water and add a little more wine)?..about a quarter of a cup... (It is also good if you want to add some chicken stock or beef stock it is usually a little to salty for Eddie?s taste but I love it.)?.. Put top on crock pot and cook all day???8 HOURS WOULD BE GOOD. Taste of it at about 6 hours and see how it tastes??..if you want more salt and pepper and sugar then add now??and let cook until you think it taste good.
- Serve with crackers or over buttered noodles.
- If you want to dress it up a little you can put a dollop of sour cream on top.
- I use kosher salt or a course salt and I also use raw sugar. (white sugar will make it too sweet , so use brown if you don?t have an raw sugar. ??because it taste better.
- You can buy raw sugar at most any store. You can also buy a good bottle of semi sweet red wine for 10.00 or less.