Servs: 12 Prep: Cook:
This makes a stunning centerpiece for a special meal.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 (14 to 16 rib) crown roast of pork
- add 1 cup chopped onion
- add 1 tbs butter
- add 2 tsp salt
- add 1 tsp dried thyme
- add 1/2 cup raisins
- add 1/2 cup orange juice
- add 1/4 cup dry sherry
- add 6 cups hot cooked rice, cooked in chicken broth
- add 2 tablespoons finely grated orange peel
- add 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Season inside and outside of crown roast with salt and pepper. Place, ribs down, in a shallow pan. Bake about 2-1/2 hours, basting occasionally, or until themometer reads 160 when inserted into meatiest part of roast.
- Meanwhile, saute onion in butter until soft. Add salt, thyme, raisins, orange juice and sherry. Cover and cook over low heat about 5 minutes or until raisins are plump. Stir in rice and half the orange peel, tossing lightly to blend well.
- About 15 minutes before the meat is done, remove from oven. Pour off pan juices and reserve to make gravy, if desired. Turn roast, rib ends up. Fill center with orange rice. Spoon remaining rice around roast. Cover with foil to prevent drying of rice and return to oven until meat is fully cooked. Sprinkle with remaining orange peel and garnish with orange sections before serving.