Makes: 1 lg braided loaf
I was given this recipe from a family friend and I have used it for Xmas and Easter every since. You can add dried and candied fruits or raisens and yet its great just plain. It has such a light flavor and great smell as it bakes. You will find it a perfect holiday morning toast to have before your tree celebration or egg hunt - Easy to make and super good to eat.
- add 1 pkg active dry yeast
- add 3/4 c milk
- add 1/4 c butter or margarine
- add 1/3 c sugar
- add 1 egg
- add 1/2 tsp salt
- add 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
- add 2 3/4 to 3 c sifted all-purpose flour
- add Glaze topping
- add 2 cups powered sugar
- add 1/2 tsp almond extract
- add 2 tbsp cream (enough to make the glaze thin drizzle)
- add Sprinkles for topping of the glaze
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of warm milk with a sprinkle of sugar to help it cure, set aside. I use glass bowl that I can see through and put a small plate on top to help the yeast stay warm. I like to use a chop stick to stir the yeast, milk and sugar.
- Cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg. Then add yeast mixture, remaining milk, salt and cardamom. Gradually mix in the flour to make a moderately soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead till smooth and elastic, 5-8 minutes. Place in lightly greased bowl turning once to grease surfaces. Cover and let rise till dough has doubled about 1 1/4 hours. Punch down. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and divide dough in 1/3's and form into balls. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll each ball to a 16 inch long rope. Line up the 3 ropes, 1 inch apart, on greased baking sheet. Braid loosely, beginning in the middle and working towards the ends. Pinch ends together and tuck under. Cover; let rise about 40 minutes, till almost double. Brush with a little milk. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until nicely browned. Cool on wire rack. Makes 1 braid
- You can also make the braid into a round loaf and use a greased large glass pie plate to bake it.
- When it is browned and removed from oven put piece of wax paper under the wire rack and mix the powdered sugar, almond extract and small bits of cream to whisk into a glaze drizzel. Pour it over the top of the cooling loaf.
- Read more about our family on my blog page and join me on Twitter @MissBusyBiz