This was Toots' go to "fast" dessert to take & serve at any event. It is so good and so easy and you will have ingred on the shelf. I love it and its really an easy thing to do just like the Cream Puff recipe but this is a longer puff and it will rise and then fall and have an Almond Topping I make this at least once a month for guests or an event, its fast, easy
- add 1/2 cup butter
- add 1 cup water
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- add 1 cup all-purpose flour
- add 4 eggs
- add * Topping:
- add Powder sugar
- add Milk
- add Almond extract
- add Sliced Almond
- add *Topping is just 1 1/2cup of powder sugar with a tbsp of milk and a cap of almond extract and mix into a thin drizzle for the top of the Puff. Sprinkle with Sliced Almonds.
- Heat the oven to 425 and let it warm while you begin:
- Now this is just like a cream puff recipe so you do it on the top of the stove. Melt 1/2 c butter with 1 cup water and a dash of salt. Use a wooden spoon to keep it moving and when it boils then you will add in the 1 cup flour. Turn the off and stir in the flour fast so it all comes together and it will start to plop and boil just a bit. Now take the pan off the stove and put on a towel on a wood cutting board. Add the four eggs one at a time and use your wooden spoon to mix it into the flour mixture. You want this all to incorporate so add one at a time and mix into the mixture after each egg.
- Now use a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with parchment or silkpad on it and put the entire amount of the chou paste or flour with eggs mixture onto the baking sheet.
- Now spread out the mixture into a rectangle about 4 inches wide by 9 inches long. Have it all about the same height and swirl it out.
- Put into oven and cook for 15 min at 425 then lower the heat to 350 for another 15 min - now turn off the oven and put a towel in the door to keep it slightly open and let stay there for another 10 minutes.
- Take it out and place it on plate or tray using a large spatula. And pour the Almond topping & sprinkle with almonds!