Servs: 4 Prep: Cook:
This recipe is from the Dominican Republic. It is a common recipe to see at least once a week in the dominican home.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 cup of Rice
- add 1 can of black beans (or any other kind of beans, even corn)
- add 2 Tablespoon of Olive oil
- add 1 cube chicken bouillon (low sodium if possible)
- add 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic
- add 1/4 cup diced white onions (red ones are even better)
- add 1/8 cup diced celery
- add 1 Tablespoon of minced green olives with pimento
- add 1/4 cup of Hunt's Diced tomatoes (with basil, garlic & oregano)
- add 2 Tablespoon of Spaghetti Sauce (Optional)
- add Salt is optional
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of Oil (I use olive oil) on medium heat, in a 2 quart non-stick pot.
- Cook diced celery, onions, diced tomatoes, green olives and garlic until the onions look tender.
- Add the bouillon until it becomes part of the mix.
- If using spaghetti sauce add it.
- Add the can of beans, plus a can and a half of water (I rinse the beans can and pour the water into the mix)
- Continue stirring for a minute, then let it simmer.
- When it starts boiling add the rice, stir some more.
- When it starts boiling again cover the pot, turn down the heat to simmer
- Let it cook for 20 minutes, do not uncover it during this time.
- After the 20 minutes, uncover and move rice and beans around with a big spoon, cover again for 10 more minutes.
- After the 10 minutes, the rice and beans should be ready to eat.