Wow! The first time I tasted this cake I knew it would be a hit. Don't let the long ingredient list dissuade you, it includes the frosting. Easy as pie, you start with a mix, and it really does taste better the next day. The cooked frosting is scrumptious, it is not too sweet and is just the right texture.
- add 5 ounces chocolate instant pudding
- add 4 eggs
- add 1 (18 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- add 1 cup margarine
- add 1 cup oil
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla
- add 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- add 3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- add 2 cups white sugar
- add 2 cups milk
- add 1 cup butter
- add 1 cup sour cream
- add 1/2 cup warm milk
- Beat the cake ingredients by hand, do not use an electric mixer.
- Pour into a prepared9x13 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 40 -45 min's. until done.
- Meanwhile, in a deep glass mixing bowl, whisk the cornstarch into the cold milk.
- Bring to a boil on med high heat in the microwave whisking often.
- Cook until thick, then set aside to cool.
- ((It is important that the gel be soft enough to spoon out, but firm enough that it can't be poured. If you overcook it, whisk a little warm milk into it until smooth.)).
- Beat the margarine, butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the cooled gel mixture and beat until set.
- Frost the cooled cake, garnish with almonds and drizzled chocolate if desired.