Thanksgiving wouldn't be Thanksgiving without this dish. I've no idea where the recipe came from originally--my grandmother has been making it since long before I was born.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 3-4 ounces Jim Beam bourbon whiskey
- add butter
- add 1/4 lb butter
- add 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- add salt
- add mini marshmallows
- add 1 egg
- add milk
- add 3-4 lbs sweet potatoes
- Boil the potatoes until done.
- Skin and mash potatoes while still warm.Add butter and salt to taste.Add milk until the consistency is like creamy mashed potatoes.
- Put potatoes in a 2 quart casserole dish.Scoop a hollow in the center of the potatoes and create a rim of potatoes around the edge of the pan.Set aside.
- In a double boiler, cook 1/4 lb butter, brown sugar, egg, and bourbon, stirring constantly, until thickened (1/2-3/4 hour--in my experience it never really thickens).
- Poor this syrup into the center hollow of the casserole and over the whole top.
- Line the edges of the casserole with the mini marshmallows.
- Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until the sauce is a very dark brown.