This soup is a favorite pantry meal for my family. Easy, easy, easy to make and nutritious. I got the recipe from the back of a soup can but have improvised this soup many times. Feel free to adjust seasonings as you like.
- add 1 small red onion
- add salt and pepper
- add 2-3 cloves garlic
- add 1 medium onion
- add 3 tablespoons olive oil
- add 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- add 1/4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped or finely chopped (whatever you prefer)
- add 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- add 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans black beans
- Saute onion in olive oil.
- When onion becomes translucent, add cumin.
- Cook 30 seconds, then add garlic and cook for another 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add 1 can black beans and 2 cups vegetable broth.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat.
- Using a hand blender, blend the ingredients in the pot, or transfer to a blender.
- Add the second can of beans to the pot along with blended ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Serve soup with bowls of red onion and cilantro for garnish.
- I add a bit of cilantro to the pot, too.
- Can be doubled or frozen.