These are pretty easy, tasty and are a great appetizer or snack before the football games start, or you could even add beans/rice and Margaritas for a meal! For a more South-of-the-Border taste, add some diced Jalapeno peppers or green chilies before frying these. ;)
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 1 cup diced jalapenos or green chilies (optional)
- add 1 cup diced tomatoes
- add oil
- add 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed (optional)
- add 4 large wheat flour tortillas
- add 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- add 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (I like mine spicy and use a little more)
- add 1/2 cup chopped onions
- add 1 lb lean ground beef (can use ground turkey if you like)
- Brown together the ground beef or turkey, onion and garlic in a heavy frying pan over medium heat, until meat looses pinkness.
- Add salt and chili powder to meat, mixing well.
- Put 1/2 cup of the ground beef filling, 1/2 cup of cheese, and 1/2 cup of tomatoes onto one half of each tortilla adding your jalapeno/green chilies now if you want to use them.
- Fold the other half of tortilla over and press to remove any air pockets.
- Heat oil in pan to medium high, and when hot, place filled tortillas into the pan 1 or 2 at a time, size of pan permitting.
- Saute over medium high heat until golden brown on each side, approximately 45 seconds per side.
- Remove and place on paper towels to remove any excess oil.
- Cut into wedges and serve!