This recipe adapted to help me stick to a 'good' carb eating program for weight loss. The whole family loves it! Very easy to make too! Note: You can substitute canned beef broth for the 'beef base' if you want. I also recommend the low-sodium kind. Also, once the rice is cooked through, if it looks like more water is needed, go ahead and add it to your liking.
- add 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- add 1 lb ground beef
- add 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- add 6 teaspoons beef base (or beef bullion cubes)
- add 1 medium zucchini
- add 4 cups cabbage
- add 1/4 cup dried onion flakes
- add 8 cups water
- Brown ground beef in skillet, drain and place in soup pot.
- Add water, beef base (or cubes), dried onion and canned tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil for about 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage, zuccini and brown rice.
- Turn down heat to low, place a lid on soup pot and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.